POSITION DESCRIPTION – UNITED WAY OF KNOX COUNTY OHIO, INC.
Job Title: Executive Director
Position Reports To: Board of Directors
Summary: Responsible for visionary leadership, organizational accountability and building collaborations to advance United Way’s mission for Knox County.
The Executive Director is the chief professional officer who administers, coordinates and directs the major aspects of organization policies, plan of work and long-term goals, as directed by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director will work in close concert with the Board and a variety of partners and constituents to develop, implement, evaluate, and maintain programs, services and activities which fulfill organization mission and goals. They are charged to drive key results in fundraising; to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners; to leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and to promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and board level. The Executive Director values networking and strives to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
· Serves as the leader of the organization, establishing a vision for community impact via three areas for impact: education, financial stability and health. Goals for impact in these three areas are achieved through the efforts of a diverse team comprised of an engaged board, high-performing leaders, dedicated staff and passionate volunteers.
· Is the chief mobilizer who leverages the power of relationships and networks engaging in nonprofit, private, public and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community
· Maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the of the organization within the policies set by the Board of Directors and works with committees to assure overall sound governance, fiscal management and strategic direction for the organization
· Is effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization including but not limited to overseeing the annual campaign, cultivating and soliciting donors, and managing multiple fundraising activities
· Works with staff and the Executive Committee to manage organizational spending, monitor budgets compliance, and mitigate financial risks
· Is the steward of the United Way brand and understands this position’s role in growing and protecting the reputation of United Way of Knox County by building trust and clearly establishing the relevance of United Way in the community
· Is dedicated to shared and measurable goals that align with the organization’ strategic direction
· Supervision, development, support, and retention of office staff as well as coordination of staff work plans to support changing needs of the organization
· Monitors actions and communications from United Way Worldwide and responds as necessary
· Collaborates with other local United Way organizations and attends applicable statewide or national United Way conferences
· Extraordinary written, verbal, and electronic communication skills
· Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders
· Ability to work effectively with people with diverse educational and cultural backgrounds and build collaboration with the community at large
· Effective at generating and growing financial support through fundraising initiatives
· Results oriented and able to motivate others toward achieving goals, while establishing boundaries
· Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
· Ability to respond to a crisis situation in a calm and collected manner
· A strong sense of and respect for confidentiality involving clients, fellow employees, volunteers, corporate partners and partner agencies
· Possesses a high level of broad business, financial, and management skills
· Exhibits passion for United Way’s mission, core values, and Code of Ethics
Education and Experience Requirements:
· Bachelor’s degree or higher
· Three to five years of executive or senior management experience including at least one year supervising staff
· Substantial experience in the nonprofit sector and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards. Alternatively, extensive experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission
· Proven fundraising experience in the non-profit sector
· Experience in collaborative processes for developing, engaging and executing a business plan
· Community volunteer management experience a plus
· Demonstrated involvement in local community a plus
· Experience in social media and social marketing a plus
Work Conditions/Physical Factors:
· 37.5 hours per week, may involve evenings or weekends based on needs of the organization
· Schedule flexibility is required
· Ability to legally operate a motor vehicle
· Must provide own transportation
· Ability to reach and grasp folders, papers, pamphlets
· Ability to lift and carry 20 pounds
· Ability to communicate effectively using a phone, computer and in person conversation.
United Way of Knox County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect, value and celebrate the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. We also believe that bringing diverse individuals together allows us to collectively and more effectively address the issues that face our communities. It is our aim, therefore, that our partners, strategies and investments reflect these core values.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Position Reports To: Board of Directors
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 - $85,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Paid time off
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Mount Vernon, OH 43050: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Willingness to travel:
- 25% (Preferred)
Work Location: One location